domingo, 24 de abril de 2011

DIFFERENCES BETWEEN AMERICAN AND BRITISH ENGLISH

Use of the Present Perfect

British English:
I've just had dinner.
I've already seen that TV show.
Have you finished yet?
(they can be used also in American English).

American English:
I just had lunch.
I already saw that TV show.
Did you finish yet?

Possession
Forms to express possession: Have or Have got.. both are correct in American and British English, but have got is the preferred form in British English while have without got is more used in American English.

Do you have a house?
Have you got a house?
She hasn't got any money.
She doesn't have money.

The Verb Get
The use of got and gotten.

American English: She's gotten much better at soccer than in basketball.

British English - She's got much better at soccer than in basketball.

Vocabulary
Some words mean different things:

•American English: I put my bags in the trunk.
British English: I put my bags in the boot.
•American English: I´m driving my truck.
British English: I´m driving my lorry.
•American English: I have my own wrench.
•British English: I have my own spanner.
•American English: I left my taxi on the parking lot.
•British English: I left my taxi on the car park.

Prepositions
•American English: Give me that letter.
•British English: Give to me that letter.
•American English: I´m going to celebrate on this weekend.
British English –I´m going to celebrate at this weekend.
•American English : She´s on a swimming team.
British English: She´s in a swimming team.

Past Simple/Past Participles
•American English: She burned the house.
British English: She burnt the house.
•American English: I dreamed all night long.
British English: I dreamt all night long.
•American English: I smelled that cake.
British English: I smelt that cake.

1 comentario:

  1. wow, melissa it looks that you serched informetion haha. well actualy i hate british because i can´t understand it... its so hard, and i am surprised i didnt know that some of the diferences :)

    ResponderEliminar